This issue sometimes occurs when other apps seize control and mute the Reading Eggs app. There are a couple of easy solutions to this issue which vary depending on the model of your iPad.
For newer models such as iPad Air or iPad Pro please follow these steps:
- Open the Reading Eggs app
- Swipe up from either the bottom of the screen or from the top right-hand corner to display the iPad’s control centre (the same one you would use to put your iPad into flight mode)
- Locate the bell-shaped mute button; this will have a line through it indicating the app has been muted
- Tap the bell mute icon and the sound will return to the program.
For older models of iPads:
- Open the settings on your iPad
- Open General Settings and locate ‘Use Side Switch to’
- If ‘Mute’ is selected, please switch it to ‘Lock Rotation’ and vice versa, if ‘Lock Rotation’ is selected please switch it to ‘Mute’
- Ensure that the lock switch on the side of the iPad is not in the mute position
- Reopen the app and the sound should play as intended.